Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halo Around The Sun

South Africans were treated to quite a rare sight in the sky yesterday - a perfect rainbow halo around the Sun. The sight caused quite a stir and made headlines in the news - with lots of photos on the net as well.


The scientific explanation is that the halo is caused by light reflecting off tiny ice-crystals or water droplets very high in the sky. The thing about theses halos is that they can't be predicted like eclipses, the conditions for them to form have to be absoultely right. The conditions that form halos often cause rain and this is what happened yesterday evening, we had heavy showers of rain. Sometimes halos appear as arcs and other times, like yesterday, they completely surround the Sun. Like all of creation, they are wonderful masterpieces of the Lord's work!

 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
- Genesis 1:14

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That's just beautiful, Rachel! I've seen it once here in Bermuda and it was just gorgeous to look at. I hope you and your family have a wonderful day. Blessings!

Taylor said...

Wow. That is breathtaking. I wish I could have seen it for myself. God's creation is simply amazing. Thank you for sharing the picture!

Soli Deo Gloria!
Taylor

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!! =D

Stephanie Ann said...

How beautiful! What a treat!

Tarissa said...

Wow, what a unique sight! Thanks for sharing a picture of it with us.

Blessings,
~ Tarissa

Anna said...

Oh how beautiful! I wish I could have seen it too!

Anna

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, that is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting that, I am absolutely amazed.

~Emma~

hope said...

Oh, how amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

-hope

Elizabeth Pruett said...

That is beautiful! What an example of God's amazing creation!