Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Letaba

This is a post with lots of pictures, but I've tried to keep the descriptions brief. :)
After leaving Shingwedzi we traveled south-east through the game reserve to Letaba Camp. The journey took us about  and on the way we passed the Tropic of Capricorn marker, pictured below.



The Bridge over the Letaba River. The drought is not as bad here as it is further North and there's still water in the river.

Entrance gate of Letaba Camp
A Bushbuck walking around inside the camp.


We stayed in a family bungalow, right near the camp fence and had a wonderful view over the river and surroundings.
One doesn't even have to drive out if you don't want to - you see so much from the camp.



Walking in the camp - although the weather is hot, there are signs of Autumn setting in.

Jessica and I went for a walk along the camp fence.

In the late afternoon we took a drive further up along the river.

A Crocodile basking on the river bank.

We saw quite a number of animals, including this herd of elephants. After they had drank at the river they made their way back up the banks and crossed the road just behind us, (picture below). There were lots of babies and youngsters in the herd.  

This young Elephant bull was last to cross the road after the herd and he was not in a very good mood, trumpeting and thrashing around in the bushes!

After the being held up by the Elephants, we made it back to camp just before the gates closed for the night and then prepared the braai for supper. :)

One of the many little Geckos which come out at night and crawl along the outside walls of the bungalows, hunting insects which are attracted by the outside lights.

Jessica and I went for another walk along the fence just as it was getting dark and then came back to a delicious supper of braaied Wildebeest steaks. :) 

10 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Rachel!

What wonderful photos once again! The lighting over the river in that last photo is beautiful, and I was absolutely amazed by the picture of the elephant herd on the road! I had to laugh when I saw the Gecko - when we were on holidays in Queensland there was a little white Gecko just like that one, which used to crawl around the outside lights at night making very funny little noises! :)
I've really enjoyed these posts about your holiday!
I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Lots of love
from Laura

Shannon said...

How lovely! It was so wonderful to browse all of the photos.. it looks like ya'll had a great time!

Love In Christ,
~Shannon~

Bekah said...

I have been enjoying all these photos...and they are reminding me why I really want to see more of the world! :) God has made so many amazing things! We should be enjoying it all! ;)

Carra said...

That's wonderful. I'd like to try wildebeest... never had any. Is it like venison by any chance? Thanks for the post!

Rachel Beth said...

Thank you all for the comments and I'm glad you all enjoyed the photos. :)

Carra - Yes, Wildebeest is venison. :)

God bless.

Leah said...

Thank you for all the sweet comments you've left on my blog! You're so kind.

You have a beautiful blog. All of the photos are amazing. God's creation is breathtaking and you've captured it so well.

Thank you for sharing all the photos.

I am looking forward to reading more of your blog. :-)

Blessings,
Leah

Laura said...

Dear Miss Rachel Beth,

I just love reading your blog...it is so fascinating learning about different places in the world which are so different from where we live.
A parade of elephants...that must have been quite a site to see! So many beautiful animals...how blessed you all are to be living so close to such amazing creatures.

Now...for the wildebeest steaks...I'm assuming they taste very similar to deer venison. Delicious!

Hope you and your family are all doing well,
God bless,
Mrs. Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Rachel,

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog earlier. You have taken a lot of wonderful photos. You certainly live in a beautiful place.

That herd of elephants must have been a sight to behold! And the Geckos...they wouldn't by any chance eat mosquitoes would they? If they do, we could certainly use some around here in Maine right now! This time of year is terrible for bugs!

Hope you and your family have a great day.

God Bless,
Josh

Rachel Beth said...

Hi Josh
Thank you for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos!
Yes, geckos do eat mosquitoes. I can understand what you mean about bothersome bugs!
In Africa the creature which causes the most deaths is the malaria mosquito so geckos, bats and all the other creatures which eat them are good to have around.
Trusting you and your family have a good week further.
God bless.
Rachel

Elizabeth said...

Hi,
I found your blog very interesting.
I'm from Australia but one of my brothers lived in South Africa for a couple of years and consequently I have a South African sis-in-law:). I think the Kruger national park was one place they really liked to go for holidays.
I love the wildlife in South Africa; it all seems so exciting! One time my brother was in a car when a big herd of elephants suddenly turned on him. Needless to say he made a very hasty retreat!! I’d love to visit SA one day!